Saturday, November 11, 2017

Veterans Day Their Special Day

Honoring Veterans From All Time

James Esters Parden was born 10 May 
1954 in Port Arthur, Jefferson County,
Texas, Died 23 Mar 2013 in Duluth,
 Minnesota. He served in the United 
States Army. James "Ricky" as he was 
known to family died of leukemia at the age 
of fifty-nine.  
November 11 is a special day set aside in the United States to honor military veterans who served in the United States Military. It is a day where all military veterans are honored. Today this blog is dedicated to all our honor all my ancestors who served in wars.

Family history research takes time and dedication. It takes time to research the military veterans in our family lines. As we research each one it gives us time to focus and reflect on their service they provided for our country. Researching and learning about their life gives me a chance to connect mentally and emotionally with the ancestor and the service. Their stories give me an opportunity to see them as real people and with real life stories that needs to be told. It is because of records that have been made available through online databases that have made researching our veterans possible.  By keeping the historical records alive, by creating a family history, then sharing that history with others will preserve our veteran ancestor's legacy. If we don’t share their stories, the memory of their lives fades forever, and they will be forgotten

As I have researched over the past fifteen or more years, I have learned that several of my ancestors served in wars from the founding of the colonies to the present day. Researching those who came before me helps me understand the sacrifices made during their lifetime. An appreciation for the freedoms of today is forever in my mind because of my ancestors. There is a deep sense of appreciation and love for those who lived before me. Also, there is a sense of connection to this country’s past and its beginning because of those veterans did their part in making this country the “land of the free.”

There are several veterans in both my maternal and paternal line ancestors. There were men who served in the American Revolution, Patriots who supplied goods for the Revolutionary soldiers, Patriots of the Indian Wars, War of 1812, Confederate Veterans, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, and whose who served in branches of the military during peace times.

One of the reasons that I write articles for my blog is to honor my ancestors. Before I write an article about one of them, I research his or her life and gather all available information for that person’s life. One of the rewards of family history is learning about my ancestors and their unique stories. Researching, then analyzing each record to glean all the tidbits of information about an ancestor helps in creating a story of their lives. The stories help to bring these ancestors into real people who lived through real life events.

Discovering the military veterans and information about them gives me a better understanding of history and historical events. Although a distant ancestor might have fought in the Indian Wars, or he could be a living relative who served in the Vietnam War, getting to know the individual makes the events more realistic.

The veterans who served in this country’s military services deserve to be remembered and honor in a special way. Serving our country takes sacrifice and bravery. Every individual who has served in the military has contributed to our country's history. They contributed to building of a country where we live and where we have many freedoms – such as the freedom to worship and free speech.

Today, I thank each of the hero veterans within and outside of my family for their dedication to their service for our country and our country's history.  This blog article is a small way of saying thank you for your service and your service.

American soldiers examining their new rifles after turning in the old ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment