Sunday, August 28, 2016

Census Sunday

On the Hunt for the Coon Siblings

I have been on a quest to find my mother’s siblings after the 1920 Federal census for Lincoln County, Mississippi. Grandmother Coon died sometime after the 1920 census. She was listed as head of the house, and all her children except the oldest son by her first marriage is listed on the census with her. Granddaddy Coon was living in Marion County with an Alexander family, and he is listed as a wd (widower).




I found Granddaddy Coon, Uncle George, Aunt Mamie, Ed Etheredge her husband, their children, and Mother on the 1930 West Carroll Parish Census and Clifton was listed as wd. Where are the other children; Joe Jr., Luther, Julia Blunt, Morris Clifton and Venie’s oldest son, Essie, Jane, and Rowan Clifton’s son by his first wife?


I continued searching the West Carroll Parish Census and found Morris living with his uncle. E.M. Coon is Clifton’s brother Edward, and Henry Hampton is one of Clifton’s sister’s sons.


 I found one of the five missing siblings of  Alma Coon, my mother. I feel confident that Joe, Jr., Luther, Julia, Essie, Jane and Rowan are out there somewhere, and I will just have to work harder to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment