Thursday, September 1, 2016

Thursday Thoughts: Aunt Irma My Favorite

Irma Kamile Eley born 3 Mar 1912
 Eros, Jackson Parish, Louisiana
Most people have a relative that is special to them, whether it is in being generous, kind, treating you special, or other reasons. There is one favorite relative that we remember.  That one relative who you have fond memories of, and you are happy when you think of them. My Aunt Irma is my favorite Aunt.  There were other aunts such as Aunt Gladys, Aunt Ellen, Aunt Dolly Hall, Great Aunts Leakie Lee, and Aunt Dolly Edwards, but Aunt Irma was the One. Why was she my favorite? What are the memories that I have of her? Who was she?

Aunt Irma lived in Port Arthur, Texas and was at one time married to Uncle Morris Coon, mother’s oldest brother. They married 20 Sep 1930 in West Carroll Parish, Louisiana. They had three children two girls and one boy. So, their children were my double first cousins. Then, one day Aunt Irma and Uncle Morris divorced. 

Four years ago I reconnected with my double first cousin eldest daughter of Aunt Irma and Uncle Morris, after having lost contact since the early sixties. Aunt Irma came to visit us often when I was growing up in West Carroll Parish; however, when my family moved from West Carroll to Lincoln Parish she didn’t visit. Probably the reason for that was in West Carroll the sisters, aunts, her mother, brother and other relatives lived there. When she did visit us those visits were memorable.

Aunt Irma worked as a waitress in a drug store in Port Author, and in my child’s eyes she was rich. She brought us girls' clothes when she came to visit; usually two or three large bags of clothes.  Those are “hand-me-down” clothes, not new ones. But to us girls they were new and very much needed. Aunt Irma would give us girls a haircut while there. Now, I have to tell you that hair cut lasted until her next visit the next summer. She “chopped” our hair off until we looked like boys. But we didn’t have any say over those hair cuts because it didn’t cost us anything.  So, Mother was very pleased with the haircut. Well, the hair would grow and we would look like girls again. One summer she was on to a new project. Aunt Irma decided it was time for the girls to get their ears pierced so Mary, Kathryn, and I got our ears pierced. Jean and Polly didn’t want their's pierced. We were excited about having our ears pierced and couldn't wait to start back to school to tell our friends. 

The visits were almost always visits where she made alone; her children didn’t come with her. One time I remember her bringing a granddaughter, but her trips were made from Port Arthur to West Carroll Parish alone. They were memorable visits and I treasure the memories of Aunt Irma's visits to Louisiana. She was fun loving, dressed to perfection, and always got up, put on her makeup, and kept it on until bedtime. 

When I made a visit to see Mary Alice four years ago, she shared family stories and once she started talking the memories started flowing. She told of her families travels moving from Louisiana to Texas. Of going to different schools when they left Louisiana. She told of the hardships and the good times they had growing up. She spoke of her father with such love and compassion, and talked about how much she misses him even today. 

Irma Kamile Eley was born 03 Mar 1912 in Eros, Jackson Parish, Louisiana and died 07 Dec 2001 in Groves, Jefferson County, Texas. She is buried in Memory Gardens of Jefferson County, Nederland, Texas.Her mother was Alice Lee daughter of Emma Meadows and her father was William Alfred Lee. 

I will cherish forever those memories of Aunt Irma and the visits that she made to Louisiana to see our family.  Her daughter Mary Alice and I continue to correspond and those calls that she makes to me are calls of healing for her. She tells me that I am the only family she has left. She is eighty-four years old and loves to tell me family stories and I cherish those stories. ■



No comments:

Post a Comment